Story of LBGT@MIT
Commitment, Mission, and Values
Work in the Rainbow Lounge!
The Rainbow Lounge Student Assistants support programs, services and events for the benefit of culturally-specific communities and MIT campus community. They are also responsible for tasks that maintain the daily functioning of the Rainbow Lounge.
By utilizing their leadership, sensitivity, and skills in community building, event planning, peer counseling, crisis intervention, and communication, staff members play a key role in fulfilling the missions of the Rainbow Lounge. LBGT@MIT strives to serve our diverse communities; provide educational, social, and cultural activities; and provide a "home away from home" for traditionally underrepresented students.
All Rainbow Lounge staff members must be committed to the development of multicultural, inclusive communities at MIT. Student Assistants are role models for those we serve through the Rainbow Lounge; they must be active in pursuing self education regarding issues of sensitivity, sexism, transphobia, racism, religious intolerance including but not limited to anti-Semitism and Islamophobia, heterosexism, able-ism, classism, ageism, and more.
- Holds between five (5) and ten (10) office hours per week
- Attends staff and individual supervisory meetings
- May be responsible for opening and closing the Rainbow Lounge
- Greets all visitors to the Rainbow Lounge and fosters a welcoming and inclusive community
- Performs clerical tasks including but not limited to preparing correspondence, making photocopies, answering phones and taking messages
- Assists in managing Rainbow Lounge physical and digital presence including social media
- Designs advertisements for and assists with programming and events
- Maintains the Rainbow Lounge's media library
- Works with and supports the Director, Assistant Director, Graduate Assistant, and other Student Assistants as needed
- Completes other duties as assigned
- Must be a currently enrolled MIT student
- Must uphold the Rainbow Lounge's Commitment to Racial Justice
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of and sensitivity to traditionally underrepresented groups and the global diaspora (including but not limited to people with disabilities; Native Americans; Asian/Pacific Islander, Asian-Americans; Africans, African-Americans; Chicanxs, Hispanics, Latinxs; and people of diverse genders and sexual orientations)
- Must espouse and support the Rainbow Lounge's mission and values
- Assistant Director of LBGT Services
Term of Employment:
- January 2016 through August 2016
Please e-mail Julio Oyola (email@example.com) for more information or to be considered for this position.
Back to top
Home | Email us | Walker Memorial Basement (50-005) | (617) 253-5440 | Massachusetts Institute of Technology |